Is artificial intelligence used in architecture? Can AI help architects in designing future cities? Or is artificial intelligence going to design future cities and make architects unemployed?
There is talk everywhere about the applications of artificial intelligence in different fields. These discussions and the popularity of artificial intelligence tools among people and even professionals in different jobs have worried some. It is not at all unlikely that artificial intelligence will destroy some jobs in the not-so-distant future. Is architecture one of those jobs? Should architects be worried about their future?
In this context, we want to discuss the relationship between artificial intelligence and architecture and the applications of AI in architecture and answer the questions that were raised above.
Table of Contents
Artificial intelligence and architecture
Before addressing the applications of artificial intelligence in architecture, we must answer the question, can artificial intelligence help architects? Is there a connection between artificial intelligence and architecture or not? Perhaps the connection of AI with programming, web design, analysis, and data visualization is more obvious.
With artificial intelligence, tools can be produced to speed up and optimize programming. Also, the Python programming language and its powerful libraries, which are the cause of the growth and expansion of artificial intelligence and its tools in various fields, are directly and effectively used in website design and data analysis.
AI and tools based on artificial intelligence and the Python language and its libraries help architects to design faster and more efficiently just as they help programmers to code more efficiently and quickly. Artificial intelligence serves the design and construction of smart homes and cities. In other words, the design and construction of smart homes and cities is the main connection and connection point between artificial intelligence and architecture.
One of the most important advantages of smart houses and making houses smarter is that they are compatible with the environment, climate, and season, and as a result, energy consumption is more optimal in them. Smart cities are built with AI and IoT (Internet of Things). Cities where data is collected using smart equipment in different parts of the city to provide urban services as well as to allocate and consume resources and energy optimally and intelligently. In smart cities, citizens live more comfortably, their time is not wasted in traffic, less urban waste is produced and crime prevention is possible.
The most important applications of AI in architecture
Architects are both engineers and designers. That is, in the architectural process, there is both a mathematical and computational part and a design and aesthetic part. In large projects, the architectural team must consider various factors to make decisions at each stage of the work. For example, what structure is to be designed and built, a hospital or a stadium? Where is the location of the project, inside the city or outside the city? Who are its beneficiaries? What are the newest, most cost-effective, and appropriate materials for the type of project and its location? How long does it take to complete this project?
Artificial intelligence and tools based on it in both parts of the architectural process help architects and the architectural team to make better and faster decisions.
The most important applications of artificial intelligence and its AI tools in word architecture:
1. Automating Architectural Design
The output of architectural design is the complete project map. That map is the final product of the work. Architectural design has several phases. The first and most important phase is research and data collection. The first design team should research and obtain information about the project, the client’s wishes and needs, and similar and competing projects. Then, according to that information, the architectural design team must analyze the suitability, quality, and various variables for each decision in the different phases of the product design.
The research and data collection phase takes months. A complete understanding of the project climate requires extensive research. Different materials should be compared. The best design for each part of the structure should be selected. Artificial intelligence tools can collect data, experiment analyze, and visualize data in the shortest possible time. In this case, Python programming language and powerful libraries for data visualization are very helpful.
In addition to speeding up the research and data analysis stage, artificial intelligence tools help teamwork and interaction, 3D design, making a 3D model of the project, and making a model of it. By using those tools and software, the design team can interact and cooperate and at the same time review and analyze different proposals (ideas).
2. Helping ideation and creativity
What would be the best exterior for the project? How about the best design for green space or rooftop design? Architectural design is a creative work. The architectural team must create a different and distinctive product. This is why, after the research and analysis stage, most of the team’s time and energy is devoted to ideation and finding the most creative solutions for the project’s challenges.
In this context, artificial intelligence tools allow the architectural team to visualize different ideas and compare them. Also, these tools may give suggestions to the team to improve the design. The most important tool based on artificial intelligence, which is very popular among architects around the world, is called Midjourney. This tool converts text and text descriptions into images. With the help of this tool, various architects around the world can depict their creative and sometimes strange designs and share them with other architects.
- Artificial intelligence and tools based on it help to make architectural design processes more efficient and faster.
- Future houses are smart houses and future cities are smart cities.
- Artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things play the main roles in making homes and cities smarter.
- Artificial intelligence and AI-based tools help design teams collect data and information and analyze them faster.
- Another application of artificial intelligence in architecture is that it makes the process of ideation and visualization of different ideas for each component of the design easier. In this case, teams can try different ideas and choose the most suitable one.
- Perhaps the most interesting and popular application of artificial intelligence for architects is that it allows them to depict any imaginative and ambitious plan. In fact, with the help of tools like Midjourney, architects have no limits to showing their ideas and imagination to the world.
- Will AI replace architects in the future? No, the entire architectural design process cannot be entrusted to artificial intelligence. However, architects should prepare themselves for more cooperation and interaction with artificial intelligence.
- Do architects need to learn specific skills or programming knowledge to use artificial intelligence tools? No, working with AI tools usually does not require programming knowledge.
- But to use Python language libraries and analyze data and visualize analysis results with them, Python language is needed. For this reason, Python training is also useful and practical for architects.